Steel Is An Extremely Versatile Material
From roads and railways to kitchen knives, car parts, washing machines, microwaves, and radiators, we use it all the time in our day-to-day lives. It’s estimated that 17.5 million scrap steel recycling every week in Australia — that’s enough steel to build 900 new cars!
In this article, we take a look at why steel recycling is so important and share some simple tips for reducing steel waste.
Why Recycle Steel?
Steel production involves land degradation, wildlife destruction, fossil fuel emission, and exhaustive energy and water use. By recycling your scrap steel, you can minimise your impact on the environment and save energy, water, and precious natural resources.
- Manufacturing steel cans from recycled metal uses 75% less energy than producing them from raw materials.
- Recycling 1000 kg of steel saves 1131 kg of iron ore, 54 kg of limestone and 633 kg of coal.
- In Australia, steel makes up about 2.5 per cent of the waste that goes to landfills.
- Australians send enough steel to waste sites every year to make 40,000 fridges.
How To Recycle Steel In Brisbane?
All types of steel can be recycled, including paint tins, aerosol cans, food cans, bottle tops, industrial waste, and discarded white goods. In fact, steel is 100% recyclable and can be recycled an infinite amount of times!
There are many ways you can recycle your scrap steel in Brisbane, including:
- Council garbage collection for food waste and packaging (yellow top bins)
- scrap metal recyclers for larger scrap steel pieces (domestic and industrial)
- Metalbiz industrial scrap bins (perfect for businesses with a lot of metal waste!)
- Cash for cars in Brisbane
Scrap steel recycling is easy! You can find out when your local council collects your recycling by visiting the Brisbane City Council website. To recycle your food waste and packaging (e.g. bottle tops, food cans, pet food cans, etc.) just make sure that the products are clean of food scraps and oil, and then pop them in your yellow top bin!
For large home appliances, car parts, and industrial steel scrap, all you need to do is visit your local Metalbiz branch. We have branches at Rocklea, Slacks Creek, and Geebung.
Recycling your scrap metal is great for the planet and your pocket. Give us a call today or get a free quote online to find out how you could turn your scrap metal into cash!
Last updated on September 28th, 2023 at 06:41 am